The development of physics and mathematics education in Belarus began with the opening in 1932 of the physics and mathematics department of the pedagogical faculty of the Belarusian State University.
In 1933, the Physics and Mathematics Department was reorganized into the Physics and Mathematics Faculty. In 1938, the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics included 4 departments: General Physics, theoretical physics, X-ray physics, electromagnetic oscillations.
In October 1958, the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics was divided into two independent faculties - Physics and mathematical. The first dean of the Faculty of Physics was M.P. Halimanovich. In the 60s-70s, the Faculty of Physics experienced rapid growth. In 1976, on the basis of 4 departments of the Faculty of Physics, a faculty was opened radio physics and electronics. A little later, the Institute of Nuclear Problems was opened, which was headed by a professor of the Department of Nuclear Physicists V.G. Baryshevsky.
Today, the structure of the faculty includes 11 departments, 10 research laboratories, educational and scientific observatory. Training is carried out in the specialties: "Computer Physics", "Nuclear Physics and Technologies", "Physics of Nanomaterials and nanotechnology ”,“ Physics ”(majors in). The educational process is provided by more than 300 employees and teachers, including 31 doctors of sciences and 165 candidates of sciences. There are more than 50 academicians among the graduates of the faculty and Corresponding Members of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, the Academy of Sciences of the BSSR and the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, 6 laureates of the Lenin Prize, more than 50 laureates of the State Prizes of the USSR, BSSR and the Republic of Belarus.